July 17, 2009

Life on Vacation with two boys

We went to the beach as a family for about two weeks. One week with my Moms family and then one week with my Dads family. It is amazing how the kids acted differently with each sides of my family.

Week 1: A week with Granma: Emerald Isle, NC

Alex refused to play in the ocean or water with my mom. He was fussy a lot and just did not seem to want to be there. We tried walking him in the stroller. We even tried to trick him with toys to get him closer to the water. He wanted nothing to do with it. He just wanted to be near me. When Baby Joseph and I went into the ocean he screamed until we came back to our towels. I had no idea what to do. He was very stuck on his schedule so we were only at the ocean for an hour or so before lunch and nap. That was a bit much for me because I did not get to enjoy the water either. I did not have to do too much because Granma and Aunt Jenny wanted to take care of both boys. That was a nice treat. Uncle Neil did a nice job of entertaining Alex when he wanted to play. I really enjoyed having a break. He had a hard time taking naps and getting to sleep because he did not have his bed. Joseph was not sleeping either and he is was spitting up a lot and coughing so much after eating. Joseph ended up sleeping with me because I just wanted to sleep. That was no fun for me. I got no sleep either. The car ride was so fun as well!!! Haha, when Joseph wasn't slee[ing he was crying. Even after he was fed, he cried. Alex slept or watched DVDs. He was a great passenger. I learned a lot from that trip.

Week 2: A week with Grandpa: Charleston, SC

This time when we were driving we split it up into two trips. Great Granma lives in Florence SC so we stayed with her the night before so it would not be such a long trip for the boys. They had a lot of fun with Great Granma because some of the cousins came over and they got to play. They really being Alex. It was great to see him interacting with other Children since it is just Me, Alex, and Joseph (plus speedy and tiptoe our cats) during the day. This made the drive to Charleston so much better. Alex did another great job watching DVDs and sleeping. I have never been so proud of him. He even behaved when we stopped for lunch at 5 guys before crossing the bridge on the fourth of July. On day 1 he wanted nothing to do with the pool. He would just sit by the side and put his hands in or maybe his feet, but refused to get in the water. That night he watched the fireworks, but really no idea what they were. He has the rest of his life to watch and enjoy. I still love watching them. Believe it or not this week I did not stick to his schedule, but took his lead on naps and bedtime. He did much better and slept so much better. He played so well with his cousins and Uncle Gray (6). Yes, I have a 6 year old brother. He just adores Alex and Joseph. By him playing with them gave Ryan and I time to enjoy ourselves as well. This was a fun vacation of just hanging out at the pool and ocean. We did go shopping a few times and hit great sales at various places. By the end of the week Alex was playing in both the ocean and swimming in the pool. I could not believe it. I could not believe the week was over.

Overall, both of these beach weeks were a success and very enjoyable. Of course, I was already thinking about how great next year will be with both kids being over 1! I am getting used to being a Mom while on vacation and being able to have help when are around family members. It has taken me a while to realize that I do not have to everything all by myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment